There is a stage every Indianapolis winter when you can’t seem to find the cause of the draft in your home. It could possibly be originating from a window that isn’t secured or sealed correctly. Even the slightest of cracks can make homes unpleasant and chilly, potentially resulting in:
- Cold air escaping into your home
- Higher heating and cooling costs
According to the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your total energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with appropriately sealed windows. To help cut back and reduce drafty air from entering your home, it’s essential to be able to identify where these window drafts may be located and why. Here are some useful tips to identify your Indianapolis home’s drafts and inspect for issues:
- Look for gaps and cracks in uncommon locations of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic doors or just the typical windows with operable abilities and use a straightforward visual inspection.
- Check to confirm that windows and doors are sealed and latched.
- Make sure that the sealant or gasket by the workable portion of the window or door is correctly sealing.
- Check the installation by establishing if the draft is coming through the window or around the window, between the window and the harsh opening. A window will only perform as well as it is positioned.
- Call a professional from McComb Window & Door in Indianapolis to have them run a home energy audit.
Once you’ve identified where the draft or air leakage is originating from, the next step is to attend to the cause of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the experts in Indianapolis a call at 317-872-9927 with any extra questions or possible replacement needs.